I thought it would be good to end the year with a BANG … I mean a BITE!
So far we have looked at the four main heroes of the Scallywags series. This blog will focus on a villain. He’s big, scary and notorious for chomping on anything he can sink his teeth into. His name is Chomper O’Many. The O is short for Of. Quite literally he is a chomper of many.
I first introduced the Chomping Crocs in my sixth Pie Rats novel, The Golden Anchor. It was then that I decided a giant saltwater crocodile would make the perfect bully for the School of Scallywags.
The O’Manys are a very big family and I had a lot of names to choose from: Eater O’Many, Biter O’Many, Cruncher O’Many, Grinder O’Many, Chewer O’Many, Gnawer O’Many, Muncher O’Many, Gulper O’Many, Swallower O’Many, Digester O’Many, Drooler O’Many, Mama O’Many, Old Toothless O’Many and Little Nibbler O’Many. What a mouthful!
I eventually settled on Chomper. The decision was partly inspired by a local takeaway shop. I confess, I have never eaten there, but looking at the menu through the window I could tell it was the kind of place Chomper O’Many would love. I think you would need a mouth the size of Chomper’s to gulp down some of the triple-decker burgers on offer!
There is even an option to replace the burger buns with doughnuts! A main course and dessert in one. It’s Chomper’s dream night out.
Speaking of larger than life characters (and burgers) I wanted to share one of my favorite strategies in this week’s writing tip. I like to call it Super Similes, and this is how it works:
Instead of writing a normal simile like: Chomper ran as fast as a cheetah, you add several fast things together to create a Super Simile. An example would be: Chomper ran as fast as a cheetah in rocket boots! Or perhaps: Chomper is as tough as the Incredible Hulk in titanium armour! Try it in your next story.
- Curious Creature Profile: Chomper O’Many
- Animal: Saltwater crocodile.
- Future Pirate Crew: Chomping Crocs.
- Strengths: Really strong. Has really sharp teeth. Has a really big mouth. Everything is big about him!
- Weaknesses: Can be a little too confident and arrogant.
- Likes: Chomping things. Picking on Mischief McScruff.
- Distinguishing features: Scar over his right eye. Scaly skin.
- Favourite saying: He likes to change Mischief’s last name to McWimp, McFaliure, McMess and other such insults.
Happy New Year, and try not to bite on anything nasty!