Season’s greetings, Summer Reading Clubbers,
Or as Benny Banana Peel would say, ‘Jingle bells, bananas smell …’
Regardless of what you’re celebrating this time of year, we all need to eat.
Food plays a big role in my books. Pies, bananas, hot chips, dog biscuits, seafood stew, carrots and corn all feature in my Scallywags books. And that’s not to mention candy! How many different foods can you spot in the following book trailer?
Benny Banana Peel, AKA the Sea Shanty Gangster Rapper, loves nothing more than to sing about food. It’s a great way for me to include some toe-tapping rhymes in my novels. Benny likes to combine jolly pirate sea shanties with ultra-hip gangster rapping. The result is one of the most unique musical styles you are ever likely to hear.
To replicate Benny’s Sea Shanty Gangster style you’ll need a drum (or an overturned bin), a large floor space to do some jolly toe-tapping, a pirate fiddle (if you have one) and plenty of over-the-top hand gestures.
Here is this week’s writing tip:
Creating a catchy poem or song requires more than just a good rhyming word at the end of each line. It requires rhythm. Pay close attention to the number of syllables in each line. Structure your verses so that the beat falls on the right syllables. And then practice it aloud – over and over!
- Curious Creature Profile: Benny Banana Peel
- Animal: Chimpanzee.
- Future Pirate Crew: Chimp-at-Sea.
- Strengths: Clever with words. Great climber.
- Weaknesses: Cheeky. Lazy. Daydreams about being a gangster.
- Likes: Gold bling, bananas, rapping about everything.
- Distinguishing features: Wears gold chains and a gold banana around his neck. Dresses in a yellow tracksuit.
- Favourite saying: ‘Bruised bananas!’
Have fun drawing Benny.
Enjoy your Christmas holiday,