Cheats and Sabotage!

Posted on: December 31st, 2017 by laura -

Happy New Year Everyone!

Nobody likes a cheat in a game, right? But writing villains into a story is tremendous fun! Sometimes I think writing an evil character can be even more fun than forming your hero!

What makes a good villain in a story?

For me, I love a villain who doesn’t play by the rules. You know the author has created a fantastic villain when the reader wants to yell out ‘you can’t do that!’ as they are reading.

There are other types of villains too – you can have the more subtle villain who quietly undoes the good of the hero. It can be a mean girl at school or a three-headed monster. Or you can have the megalomaniac who is only happy when destroying the world! Either way, your villain needs a motivation. Why are they sabotaging your hero? What’s in it for them? Is it about power? Greed? Jealousy? Revenge? I’d say a lot of the time all of those characteristics motivate a villain in a story. But you can probably think of even more reasons as to why your villain is the most evil character around!

Some of my favourite villains include:

• The Grand High Witch from The Witches by Roald Dahl – this monstrous character looks like an ordinary woman on the outside. But underneath her calm exterior, she’s a real monster! She hates children and uses really sinister ways of getting rid of them – like trapping them in paintings. Shudder!
  • Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket – this devious man is as greedy as they come. His aim is to get his hands on the Bauldelaire children’s inheritance and he will stop at nothing to get it! He’s sinister and dark and really creepy.
  • Miss Trunchbull from Matilda by Roald Dahl – this principal used to strike fear into my heart! She’s a selfish, foul-tempered ogre who takes pleasure in terrorizing her school students. She does everything from locking them in a spiky cupboard to throwing them out the window!
  • The White Witch from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis – the scariest thing about this villain is the way in which she can appear kind. She tempts Edmund into her sleigh by feeding him candy and promising him he will be a prince. But underneath her warm exterior is a heart of ice. She brutally kills and turns creatures to stone and has a fiery temper. Plus she keeps the land of Narnia in a state of winter – always winter but never Christmas!
  • Voldemort from ­Harry Potter by J.K Rowling – well, I couldn’t leave out ‘he who shall not be named’. This villain is pure evil with no hint of mercy or love in him. He takes on various forms throughout the books and his ability to kill without flinching is chilling.
  • Ethel from The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy – the reason I like this villain is because she’s not an evil villain. She’s an ordinary girl whose jealousy causes her to bully Mildred Hubble. This is the kind of villain we meet every day – the subtle, teasing bully who is out to make our lives miserable!
Now it’s your turn.
Tell me, who is your favourite villain, and why?

1. Vienna says:

Laura oohh my favourite villian of all time is from Matilda I love Matilda since the first time I watched the movie on television every weekend when school is finished I watch it over and over again. Matildas whole family is evil and not friendly to anyone especially Matilda, if I took my wagon to the library in the middle of the street my parents would worry and I probably wouldn’t get home because the library is a long way away from my house. I love it when Matildas dad gets his hat glued to his bald head.
    I put my head in my pillow sometimes because Miss Trunchbowel is so scary and the meanest teacher ever I do want to fly through the air and land in the flowers and not hurt myself. The chocolate cake Bruce eats is disgusting. I didn’t know there is a book I want to get mum to get me the book for my birthday . thankyou Laura from Vienna

Hi Vienna!
      Matilda is a great villain! I thought that it was funny when Matilda’s dad got his hat glued to his head. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is truly a great book by Roald Dahl!

Hey Laura!
    Here are a few things that. That I think make a good villain in a story:
    1. Use you biggest fear to creat the villian..
    2. Base the villian on a real person (Miss Trunchbull from Matilda).
    3. Tell the reader about the villains history of wrong doing.
    4. Don’t make the villian stereotypical.
    5. Use vivid description to describe robe your villian.
    Happy New Year!

Ciao Lauraura!
    Some of my favourite villains are
    -Sauron from The Lord Of The Rings
    -Azog from The Hobbit
    -Coriolanus Snow from The Hunger Games
    – Professor Snape, Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter
    Do you think that Professor Snape is a hero or a
    – Princess Ann The Embassy Row Trilogy

• Laura says:

Great question Sahansa! Snape is a complex character. What does everyone think: villain or not?

I think that Professor Snape is both a good guy and a bad guy. He acts bad around Lord Voldemort’s men but he is actually helping Dumbledoor by telling him everything. What do you think?

Your book In Too Deep sounds great! Briefiefly, what is it about?
    Thanks

• Laura says:

In Too Deep was my favourite one to write, which surprised me as I’m not a swimmer. It’s about a girl named Delphie who is an elite swimmer. She goes on a training camp with her biggest rivals, the Ogilvy twins. There’s lots of mischief on camp but Delphie also discovers a big scandalous secret about the twins and doesn’t know what to do about it!

• Tahila says:

Wow you commented and wrote so many stories you need a break how do you fit in your swimming time?

Yes how do you?

Hi Madi and Tahlia!
          I agree I do go a bit biserk sometimes . I just love writing and getting to know people. I find it quite easy to fit in my swimming time in the holidays because I don’t do as many hours. I don’t actually do swim training during the holidays. I just go to the pool and swim or have a splash around at the beach. I get a bit less enthusiastic about writing when school starts. It will really be full on with swimming , piano and one and starting at a new school. But I think I am ready for it!
          Ha[py Reading!

How do you guys manage your sport life with the rest of your life?

I don’t actually do sport at the moment I do music and have one lesson a week plus some other musical activities. It is pretty easy to manage I just have to practice for the rest of the week!

Hi Madi!
            I am kind of like you. I play the piano, but I don’t have piano lessons in the holidays so it’s practice, practice, practice for me. What instruments do you play?

Violin and flute! I’d love to play some more to!

Hi Laura
    My favourite villains are Voldemort,Snape,Ethel and Kylo Ren ( also earth Vader)! I like them because they have all have something in common power,revenge and jealousy. Also they all have something unique about them like a deep dark secret. Voldemort wants power and to destroy a boy who may never have even been a threat, Snape wants revenge for the person who murdered his love, Ethel is jealous of a girl who can’t even do magic very well and Kylo Ren wants revenge on a man he thinks was trying to kill him. Oops spoiler! Oh and sorry to bother you again but thee SRC haven’t contacted me yet.
    Happy new year!

6. Tessa Knight says:

Hi Laura
    My favorite villain is:
    Erich Von Stalhein from Biggles ( he appears in quite a few of the books). He is a very good villain, ruthless cold and calculating, yet he and biggles are very civil to each other and have a mutal respect.

• Tessa Knight says:

I just finished reading A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Madame Defarge is a really good villain. I actually found myself muttering at one point, you can’t do that !!!!!

Hi Tessa!
        I have also read a Tale Of Two Cities, it is great! Madame Defarge is a great villain! Oh also , I like your what happens next ending! t is really good!

7. Tessa Knight says:

Hi Sahansa, Thank you for your compliment. Your story ending is brilliant.You are a very good writer. I love your short story too!! Who is your favorite character in a tale of two cities?? Mine is Sydney Carson. I like the fact that even though he did not seem to like Charles at the start of the book , he went to the guillotine for Charles. Very heroic!!

• Tessa Knight says:

I forgot to ask What is your all time favorite book??

Ciao Tessa!
        My all time favourite book, that’s a tricky question. But I think that it would probably be one of Ally Carter’s Embassy Row novels. Probably Take The Key And:pack Her Up as it is the most action packed of the trilogy. What is your favourite book?

Hi Tessa!
      Thank you for your compliments to. I think that you are a very talented writer to. Which one of my short stories do you like? I personally, like all of your writing. My favourite character is a is also Sydney Carson for the same reason.
      Shansa

• Tessa Knight says:

I really like your what happens next story!! 🙂 How did you come up with your inspiration?? I like your bushfire short story . Have you written others?? What is your favorite book? Do you like poems?? Have you written any??
        Tessa

Hi Tessa
          I started to read the tale of two cities but then had to give it back I have been trying to fine it again but haven’t found it! Your a great writer!

• Tessa Knight says:

Thank you Madi . Keep trying to find the tale of two cities , its a really good book.

Ciao Madi!
            What bit did you get up to in the tale of two cities? It is a great book!

Hi Tessa And Sahansa
            I can’t really remember cause I was like 8 at the time! But I do remember it was a great book what library did you get your copy from or was it your own?

Oops forgot I think Snape is a very confusing character but I pplays a great role!

Hi Tessa!
          Thank you for your compliments! It is very nice of you! Your stories are great as well! I think I got my inspiration for my what happens next from the show The Next Step. It came from the rivalry in Riley and Ella’s friendship. I have written quite a lot. I have written another poem called if I were in charge of the world. Some of my short stories are called Taken and A is for Amazing Ariana. I love poems .

Hi Madi and Tessa !
    I agree that Snape is a complex character her that has a Hugh role in the Harry Potter series. One of my friends lent me her copy of the book so I didn’t have a copy of my own or get one from from a library. I don’t think the Tasmanian linc inc has it , I am not To sure.

Hi Tessa and Sahansa
      Okay I will have to look other places for it. Tessa you should definitely read the Harry Potter books! They are terrific!!! Tessa where did you get your copy from?

9. Tessa Knight says:

Hi Sahansa and Madi
    I have never read harry potter series but thay sound like books with a complex plot twist and brilliant characters
    Tessa

Hi Tessa and Madi!
      Tessa you should definitely read the Hathe Harry Potter series. They are great. How long did it take you to read all of them including the cursed child, Madi? Harry Potter definitely has a lot of twists, interesting characters and d a slightly complex plot. It took me about a year to actually get the books and read them cause I borrowed them from the library . It took me about a month to read the series without the waiting gap.
      Happy reading and writing!

Hi Sahansa
        I am actually thinking of some ideas now and hoping to write some stories over the next few days! It took me about 3 weeks read all of them cause we own all of them but I had to wait a bit cause we didn’t have them all then but now we do!

Hi Madi!
          You are lucky you owing own all of them. I can’t wait to read another one of your detective stories!

10. Tessa Knight says:

Hi Madi,
    What is your favorite book?
    Who is your favorite author?
    How do you get your inspiration for your stories?
    Do you write poems?
    Tessa

Hey Laura!
    Pop quiz:
    Pop Quiz:
    1. What is your fav Harry Potter book and why?
    2. If you could do any sport, what would it be?
    3. What is your fav movie?
    4. What is your fav book?
    5. Do you have an idol? If you do, who is it?
    Thanks

12. Tessa Knight says:

Hi Laura , I was wondering have you always wanted to write? How do you get your inspiration for your stories? What is your favorite sport?
    Tessa

13. Kate says:

Hi Laura
    Thanks for the advice
    I totally agree on what you say about villians and how to get ideas about them
    One question though
    Do you think its possible to have a story about a team of heroes. One day one hero feels very betrayed when he is left behind. So he devises a plan to destoy the heroes. Basically at the end he ends up taking over the land and threatening to blow up the Earth if anyone doesn’t agree with him.
    What I am trying to say is.
    Is it possible to have a bad ending?
    Kate
    BTW
    Whats your favourite story from the books you have mentioned

14. Laura says:

Hi Laura,
    I love to write villains in my stories as well! I completely agree with what you said about the reader wanting to scream,”You can’t do that!” That is exactly how I felt the whole way through reading A Series of Unfortunate Events. Olaf got me so angry that sometimes I just had to take a deep breath and remind myself that it wasn’t real. The style used to write the book made it feel like it was actually happening and I think that illustrates some really good writing.

Another type of villain I really like is much more subtle. In Cathy Cassidy’s book, Gingersnap, the main character, Ginger, has a best friend called Shannon. At first she seems really great, but the more you look into their relationship, the more you see how mean she actually is. Whenever she doesn’t get what she wants, she has to make sure Ginger can’t have it either. I think that she is also a type of villain, and a lot more fun than a conventional villain for the reader because the line between good and evil is so blurred. What do you think?

Laura

15. Stephanie says:

Hi Laura,
    I find it hard to pick a favourite villain, since I love so many of them, probably more than I love the heroes. However, one that does come to mind is Loki (from The Avengers). He contrasts Thor nicely, but in some ways isn’t really the villain at all.
    I find that it makes stories a lot more interesting when the heroes and villains aren’t so clear cut or obvious.

16. Khushi Surana says:

Mr and Mrs Wormwood can give competition to Mrs Trunchbull. they treat Matilda so badly and thinks of her as a bad person, where they themselves are crooks.

17. Khushi Surana says:

Miss Minchin from A little princess is the most horrible villain till now I have read. I can’t say my favourite as I don’t like her. She is Mean, selfish and always behave rudely with sara. she treats her as her slave.

18. Aditya Surana says:

Steven from Darren shan is one of my favorite villain as he is a treacherous friend, who is jealous of his own friend and swore to kill him. he became a vampanese to rake revenge from his friend even though he knew he will become a blood thirsty monster.

19. Ifrah says:

My favourite villain is probably count Olaf because him and his gang always follow the Baudalaires and dress up in different disguises such as Coach Genghis or Captain and he would stop at nothing (even murder) to get the fortune.