Winners and Losers

Posted on: December 24th, 2017 by laura -

Hi Everybody!

Merry Christmas for those who are celebrating today!!

Every game has a winner and a loser. But does the hero in a story always have to win?

The answer is no! I don’t want to give away the endings of my stories, but I can tell you right now that the heroes of my books in the Royal Academy series do not always stand on the first place podium at the end.

This is important to remember when you are writing. If your hero always wins, then your stories will become really predictable. While the hero doesn’t have to win, he or she does have to go through some kind of personal growth or change in the book, otherwise it’s just boring.

Perhaps they don’t win but they do gain something else surprising. Perhaps they achieve their mission but it happens in an unexpected way. Or perhaps the villain triumphs at the end of the day, leaving your story open for a vengeful sequel!

Twists and turns in a story are what make it exciting. So don’t just write a straight-line plot where your hero sets out to do something and then achieves that goal in exactly the way they expected to do so. Mix it up a bit!

Can you think of some stories you’ve read where the hero either doesn’t win or wins in an unexpected way?

Hi Laura!
    That is a great question. Instead lead of books the first thing that came into my mind were two movies that go on ABC Me. The movies are r and Ice Stars.

Ice Stars
    Eli Shane who is destined to be Sligterra’s greatest protester didn’t always start that well. Eli along with the Shane gang don’t win every battle in an expected way. They fall and bounce back into action. That’s what I like about this movie. No matter how many times you fall , you can still win.

Ice Stars
    At the ice center in Nottingham , there are 2 rings which were made to honour Tovey and Dean , the cities famous Olympic medal winner sinners. There are plenty of skaters who want to follow in their footsteps . This is real life. Some figure skates don’t land a jump and fall in their routines. The ice hockey players don’t always win their matches.s. One example of an unexpected win was when then the Icicles, Britain’s sincro squad won the British Championship. Their newest member had a fall but she got straight back into it and the girls got crowned British Champions.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Ciao Laura!
    Some examples of stories with twists I have read are
    – The Embassy Row Trilogy
    – Harry Potter
    – The Turners
    – Chinese Cinderella
    – Dear Bully
    -Saint Trainning
    – Saving Francesca
    -Looking For Alibrandi

I think twists make a b a book fun and interesting , they hook the reader in and they make you wonder because they are kind of like cliff hangers.

What has been your most memorable moment of of this Christmas?

Pop quiz time!
    1. What is your favourite sport to write about and why?
    2. What is the best pat part of being an author?
    3. Have you got any words of wisdom to tell someone who would want to be an author when they grow up?
    4. Did you always want to become an author?
    5. Is anyone else on your family an author or someone who has a job related to English?
    6. What is your favourite book ?
    7. What AFL team do you go for?
    8. Do you like Star Wars?
    9. What are your hobbies?
    10. What do you do in your spare time when you are not writing?
    11. What is it like maintaining you home life and your writer writing life?
    12. Where do you write and why?

Thanks Laura! I know those are some tricky questions.

• laura says:

So many questions! Here are some answers:
      1. gymnastics, because I was a gymnast
      2. I love creating new worlds
      3. Read read read! Read lots and widely.
      4. I always wanted to be in publishing – an author or editor. Now I’m both!
      5. No, but my brother is the Principal Oboist for one of Australia’s leading orchestras, so he’s in “the arts” too.
      6. Too hard to pick! But I love the Narnia series.
      7. I only watch rugby union! I live in Syd though, so Sydney Swans.
      8. Love Star Wars
      9. Reading, watching crickets and rugby, hanging out with my family.
      10. Play with my kids, go to the beach, hang out with my dog!
      11. It’s a good job to balance with home life.
      12. I write at home or in cafes usually with lots of cups of tea!

Which one of your teachers has had the greatest impact on you? What is the best thing about being an author?

Our character is not defined by the battles we win but the battles we dare to fight. It doesn’t matter e if you win or looses. It matters if you have the courage to show resilience and bounce back. Always stay positive. Never give up! Shine like the sun with s smile on your dour dial . No one is against you but yourself. Do things that suit you. Keep goals! You are your very own glamour IOU’s winner! Always be strong, courageous and brave. There is nothing you can’t do! Your future awaits you! Make your destiny!

Show Tesilience
    Remember it’s not anot about how hard you fall
    Sometimes we all venture of track.
    But with a little strength and perseverance
    We can always bounce back.

Happy New Year Everyone! May the new Year bring everyone good luck and happiness! Remember when you fall always bounce back!

Hi everyone!
    How was your Christmas? What was the best thing about it?
    Happy New Year!

Hey Laura!
    What is the best thing about being a blogging author? Is it hard to chose what your posts are going to be about? The Year has gone so fast!Great work with your blog! Love it!

What things are on your bucket list of things to do?

Hi Laura
    Actually The new Wonder Woman movie ( sorry don’t know any books) Diana’s love dies and he was one of the heroes! How was your Christmas?

Hi Laura
      Just want to know if the SRC Team has contacted me yet? Did you have a good Christmas? Do you like Star Wars? Do you like Hary Potter?

• laura says:

Hi Madi! They know you won, so they will be in contact soon!! Yes, I love Star Wars. Harry Potter was a funny one for me – I was a bit old to be part of the craze of Harry Potter when they first came out, but I wasn’t working in publishing yet either, so I had less reason to read them. But I do like them. My daughter adores them – she’s read the first 3.

I’ve read and watched all of them! Thanks Laura

Same. They are awesome!

Do you like Harry Potter or Star Wars more? That is a tough question but personally I have to go with Harry Potter.

Easy Harry Potter ( although I love Star Wars)! In fact I’ve just gone and seen the new Star Wars It is definitely not what I expected! I won’t give to much away but Rey and somebody have a connection through the force! Well I’m not giving anything else away until you have seen it unless you have?!

Hi Madi!
            No I have not seen the new stars wars movie. Why do you o you like Harry Potter more than Star Wars?

Hi Madi!
      How was your Christmas? Sorry I haven’t got any ideas for the Dee Detective stories. I will tell you ASAP if I get any though.
      Happy new year!

Happy Holidays everyone! What did you get from from the guy in red (Santa) for Christmas ?

13. Jack says:

Merry Christmas Laura,
    I hope you have had a nice christmas too.
    Jack

14. Vienna says:

Merry christmas Laura my dad bought me amazing headsets for christmas I hope you got something you really like.
    from Vienna

15. Kelsea says:

I like the idea of the hero not winning and lots of twists and plots. I know lots of hero moments don’t always go to plan and I think that participation is very important to improve and to make friends. especially new friends like you !!
    merry christmas and a happy new year
    love Kelsea

16. Jasmine says:

Hi Laura ,one of the stories that I have read is Diary of a Wimpy Kid where somehow he always loses no matter what!!! Twists in stories take you on different journeys. Thats why I love reading.

17. Emma says:

Hi Laura,
    I don’t think you have read this series but it is called Everest By Gordon Korman. It is this competition were there are boys and girls who can participate, but they have to collect seven letters from these bars from the supporting company which spell Everest. There is this important person called Dominic Alexis. Ever since he can really remember his dad always taught him and his brother how to climb. He was a boy small for his age while his bro was well built. When he gets to the camp, cap Cicero, [the boss] didn’t like the look of him. then he gets cut from the team. than he gets put back, than later he gets HAPE on mount Everest. But in the end he gets stronger than most .There is a person called Tilt Crowley who hates him and so it goes on. In the end Tilt doesn’t survive but Dominic suits first.

Happy New Year!

19. Tessa Knight says:

Hello Laura
    In reply to your question, Has anyone read books in which the hero doesn’t win or wins in a unexpected way, I have read a book like that. It was called the honest truth and it was about a boy with cancer going to climb a mountain alone. After battling the odds to get there he ascended the mountain in the middle of a snowstorm. He was found just alive near the summit. When he recovered his question was, did i make the top. He didn’t reach the physical top but mentally he had climbed to the top of the highest mountain in the world.

20. Stephanie says:

Hi Laura,
    I think that The Hunger Games is a good example of a series where although Katniss wins in the end, this is only at the end of Mockingjay.
    ~Spoiler alert~
    At the end of The Hunger Games, the win is unexpected since we all know that there will only be one victor, but using the berries Peeta makes it out alive as well. During Catching Fire, rather than winning the games, the heroes win by hacking their way out of the games themselves.

21. Lani says:

Awful Auntie. You think Stella isn’t ever going to sign over the deeds to Saxby Hall but she does in the end. But anyway, she still gets the hall to herself.