My favourite sports to write about

Posted on: December 24th, 2017 by michael -

Howdy everyone… can’t believe it’s only a few hours till Christmas. I hope everyone is tucked up in bed right now feeling little tingles of excitement with the day ahead about to break!

So, being a bit mad-keen on sport, there are heaps of sports I love to write about, but my two favourites would be football (AFL) and cricket. I guess they’re the two sports I played and followed quite passionately when I was a youngster. I spent hours and hours kicking a footy around the back garden, or if it was too dark or too wet out there, I’d be inside kicking a pair of socks around the house or playing with my footy cards or learning how to read with a Football Life magazine… seriously, I think that’s how I actually learnt to read.

Then as autumn turned to spring and the footy finals came and went (maybe the Geelong Cats were playing, but I think back then, that was pretty rare) the footy would get put away into a cupboard to slowly deflate over the summer and out would come my cricket bat, pads and gloves!! Oh boy, did I LOVE my sport of what?

My footy cards were my absolute passion… you can check them out on my website but is it okay if I post one here too?

So, what are your favourite sports? Have you ever written a sporty story? Or do you have a good idea for a sporty story? (I promise I won’t steal your idea!!) Would love for you to share some sporty thoughts with us over the next week…

but I know it’s probably a busy time right now so if you’d rather describe one magical moment for you from Christmas Day, then I’m good with that too…:) 🙂

Merry Christmas to every single person who reads these lines… and pass that on to every person you see!

I’m still chatting and about, but if you’re not, then catch up in the New Year!

Michael

Hi Micheal!
    What AFL team do you go for? I go for the Sydney Swans. My favourite sports are definitely water sports like swimming and water pole polo. I have been learning to swim since I was 6 and now I am one of the fastest swimmers in my school. Water polo is a sport Inhaven’t played before but I think it sounds pretty interesting. Since I was younger I have had an ambition to be an Olympic Swimmer but making it up that hat high won’t be easy so I have to train hard.
    Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone! Stay safe and have a great time!

What is it like managing your home life and your writing life?

• michael says:

It’s okay, though I tend to keep home as home and go to the local library or other places to write, as writing (for me) is sort of like work so I like to keep home and work separate…

I understand. My parents do that do. They are both doctors and never ever talk about work at home. It is kind of like living a double life.

Where do you normally write? Why do you like to write there?

What was your favourite footy card?

I have written a story called A is for Amazing Ariana. It contains my two favourite things in life swimming and pop music. I think it is a bit too long. What can I improve ?

• michael says:

Well, I’m not sure what to improve as I haven’t seen the story, but it’s good that you’ve identified that it’s a bit to long, so maybe that’s the first thing to look at – tightening up your story and getting rid of words/sentences (even paragraphs) that are not really helping or driving the story along…

Which one of your teachers has had the biggest impact on you?
    Sorry I can’t help it I just have so many questions. You are Suarez such an interesting person!

Sorry, there are so many many typos in my posts. My computer just autocorrects and sometimes I don’t recheck it.

• michael says:

I think I’m one of those rare people that never really had an amazing teacher who I remember fondly or who made me sit up and take notice or changed me or anything. At least, I can’t really remember a teacher that had a big impact… maybe they did at the time?

All the paragraphs have merged together but this is the link to get to it.

What is the best thing about being an author?

Hi Michael
    I think my favourite sport is Big Bash cricket,gymnastics,dancing and I think that is it. Sorry I am not much of a footie fan but I do go for a team Sydney Swans! Hope you had a good Christmas!

Hi Madi!
      Which sport are you best at? Have you played Water Polo? My best sport is definitely swimming and I really want to play Water Polo next year. I’ve heard it’s quite a rough water sport. But I think I’m up for it. Are you going to write any more short stories? I think you should yours are great!

Hey Madi!
      Whatwouls you want to be? I would want to be a lawyer and an Olympic simmer. I think even everyday I am getting closer and closer to m dreams. This year I did debating at school , it was pretty school. Have you done debating before? In swimming at every swimming lesson I swim my hardest.

Hi Sahansa and Michael
        I can’t tell you what sport I’m best at because I’ve always had this thing that I do a sport for a term and then move on for instance swimming,tennis,dancing,Taekwondo,dancing! But I’ve always liked swimming because it is one of the sports I still want to do and Taekwondo I’ve always been well not into it I got into it about two years ago and now I’ve stopped again! But I competed for it and even once made it to nationals and I got gold once ( not at nationals)!
        Hope you had a good Christmas!

Hi Madi!
          I wouldn’t want to mess with you, you are a Taekwondo master! I think there are pros and cons of changing a sport.
          Pro:
          You get to do more sports .
          Con:
          You can’t stick with the one you are passionate about.
          Have you played Water Polo before? What would you want to be when you grow up? I would want to be a law and an Olympic swimmer.
          For me I have stuck with swimming since I was six to now when I am 11, I will continue to swim for the rest of my life hopefully.
          When I was younger I did dancing but now I am not much of a dancer. I like with PE at my school we get to experience a variety of different sports. How was your Christmas? I hope you had a good one and Happy New Year! May it bring good luck!

Hi Sahansa
            That’s the sad thing I don’t stick so I don’t practice so I don’t get good. But the three things I enjoyed the most are swimming,dancing and Taekwondo! No I have never played water polo and don’t think I would! Um I’m not sure what I’d like to be when I grow up! Maybe a musician or a writer or a actress or a sport commentator or lawyer or doctor! I’m just not sure! Um my least favourite sport to play is probably afl cause I can’t kick the ball either although I can play cricket!

Hello Madi!
            Are you going overseas this holiday? Sadly sadly, I’m not. There are a lot of possibility for what you can be when you grow up. Good job with your Taekwondo. In can n already see you you competing against world stars. What did you get for Christmas?
            Happy Holidays!

Aleast you get a et a taste of lots of different sports.

Hi Sahansa
            No not going overseas. I doubt it cause I don’t do Taekwondo any more. I’d love to go and see Star Wars again even though I just saw it today! I reckon it is my favourite one even though it has no story line. But if you have seen it it is great isn’t it and if you haven’t then you definitely need to see it!

Good job for getting to Nationals , not everyone gets up that high on the ladder!

Hey Madi!
            Thanks, you’ve given me another movie to add to my bucket list of movies to wait watch!ere were you Teackwondo competitions held? My cousin did Karati , she was a black belt and she went to competitions in other countries.
            Happy Holidays!

Hi Sahansa
            My competitions where held in Melbourne. I gotta lot of silver 2 or 3 bronze and1 gold.

Good job , Madi!

Hello Madi and Michael!
          What sport are you the least passionate about playing? Mine would probably be football ( sorry Michael) as I can’t kick a football.
          Happy New Year!

• michael says:

Hey Mady, I guess it’s kind of good that you’re giving different sports a go; you may well settle on one of two of them eventually. You’re pretty talented it seems… especially with the Taekwondo… wow!! 🙂

• michael says:

Hey Madi, so happy that you like Big Bash cricket. I’ll make a little post with my latest covers for you to check out!! 🙂 I wrote 4 Big Bash books last year and another 4 this year and had SO much fun writing the stories. I’ve been thinking and thinking about writing a gymnastics series and have even planned one out, but I’m just wondering if there’s already plenty of gymnastics books out there… what do you think? I had a lovely Christmas thank you and hope you did too! Michael

Hi Michael
        I might do sport again for fun now I do music and I play the violin and flute! I think that you should do a gymnastics series! I love gymnastics but have never done it. Are you allowed to go in the other blogs cause if you are you should see my story on sport and it is true and it happened to me! If your not please tell me and I will put it on here! I got a book out of the library and I saw the author it was you! The story is on the SRC blog in hooray hooray schools out it’s time to play. I’m glad you had a good Christmas!
        Happy new year

Hi everyone!
    Did did you get a visit from Santa? What did you get?

12. Jack says:

Hi Michael
    My brother Bryce is so tall and looks like he could win at any sport. He is also gentle so when we tried to play rugby union together for the same side but in different age groups we had a lot of fun. At the end of the season we both picked up the most improved for our divisions. I wanted to be the sports captain at my school this year but the other kid won the position.
    It made me think about how hard I have to try at the sports carnival next year when I am in Grade 6. I want to win a ribbon and show my mum and Dad.

• michael says:

Hey Jack, thanks for being in touch. That’s so cool that you and your brother can play sport together and well done with your awards! Hey, bad luck about not getting the sports captain but it sounds like you have a really positive attitude and you’ll probably make people think and say that gee, that Jack would also have been a great sports captain with his great attitude and his skills. Good luck getting that ribbon too!! Michael

13. Vienna says:

I love to sprint, but running for a long way is so tiring. Some good times are getting new shoes to wear to school.
    Merry Christmas Michael
    from Vienna

• michael says:

Hi there Vienna, Merry Christmas to you too… I hope you had a super day. I used to sprint a bit but I’m a lot slower now so prefer the longer, slower runs!! Thanks so much for calling by and sharing, Michael

14. Kelsea says:

Sports is fun, turning up for the team or in an individual event is important because it shows you care about whats going to happen, if it’s winning or losing
    from Kelsea
    ps Christmas with my brothers and sister is special we spent the day all together
    I hope you had a special family christmas Michael

• michael says:

Howdy Kelsea, I totally agree with you about playing for a team. You’re making a commitment as others are relying on you and that’s a really good thing for people to do. I had a lovely Christmas Day thanks Kelsea and so glad you had a super one too with your brothers and sisters.

Hi Michael!
    I love running, jumping, swimming and all sports too. I know I’ll pull through any sport sport no matter how much I dislike it. Have you written any books with twists in them? Do the heroes always win?
    Thanks!

• michael says:

Hi Sahansa, I have a few little twists here and there and I like to think that the hero doesn’t ALWAYS win; maybe there are a few hurdles and bumps along the way…

Hala Michael!
        Twists in story take you into different adventures. I love reading books that are not the “usual”, where the hero always wins and the plot is so guessable. Have you written a series on swimming? I know and read you book In The Deep End, but are there more about swimming?
        Happy New Year!

• michael says:

Hi Sahansa, the last book in my Legends series that I’m re-releasing is all about swimming.. it’s called The Final Lap, so look out for that one, coming out around mid year – this year!

16. Alex says:

Hi Michael
    My favourite sport would have to be cricket. I also love afl too. I do like hockey, soccer, waterpolo, swimming, diving and beach volleyball. I do like lots of other sports, but if I list them all it might be a long list.
    What would be your most favourite sports match you have ever seen?

• michael says:

Hey there Alex, thanks for writing in. I think we’re a bit the same in that my favourite two sports are probably cricket and AFL. Wow, you sure are sporty! I think one of the best sporting events I went to was a T20 game at the MCG; way back when Steve Smith was just a talented young player who could bowl, bat and field a bit. I just remember lots of amazing catches, shots and all round great play with a really close finish!
      Michael

17. Millie says:

Hi Michael,
    I like to write snapshots about when I play netball. My favourite sport is Netball but I also love to swim and play basketball. I like to think that it is not all about winning it’s just about having your best go and enjoying it. I like to play with my friends when I play these sports. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas and have a wonderful new year
    From Millie

• michael says:

Hi there Millie, wonderful to hear from you. So agree with you that it’s not all about winning; if it was, lots of people would be unhappy as not everyone can win. Sounds like you love your sport and great that you’re playing with your friends. What are those snapshots that you write? They sounds really interesting and fun. Michael

18. Tessa Knight says:

Hi Michael, I love reading your blog. I would really like to be a professional writer later on. At the moment I just write poems and stories for my family. Do you write poems as well as stories? Signed Tessa

• michael says:

Hi Tessa, goodness, I haven’t written a poem in quite some time; I used to write a few when I was younger. That’s so good that you write poems and stories for your family. Would you like to share any of your poems? Thanks for being in touch, Michael

• Tessa Knight says:

Hi Michael,
        Did you really write poems ???!!! What kind of poems did you write?

• michael says:

haha – yes, really REALLY! I guess they were more personal ones about things happening around me at the time. My emotions and the emotions of other people; how I feel about things and how I think other people feel about things. It’s a bit hard to describe!! They didn’t rhyme or have and sort of form… you know how some poems have a certain style or structure? What sort of poems do you write?

Happy New Year!

20. michael says:

Happy New Year to you too Sahansa and to everyone who’s out there blogging away in this year’s Summer Reading Club! 🙂

21. Lachlan says:

As a Queenslander I Follow the NRL instead and know little about AFL. I follow the Brisbane Broncos and the Brisbane Heat

• michael says:

Hi Lachlan, I’m a Melbourne Storm fan; we’re very lucky to have Cam Smith who I think comes from Qld… how dominant are you guys in State of Origin? Have you ever been to an Origin game? That would be very cool!