Hooray, hooray! School is out, it’s time to Play!

Posted on: December 24th, 2017 by SRC Team -

Merry Christmas SRC Club Members!

It’s hard to believe after all that waiting, this magical holiday has arrived, and with it probably lots of new things to play with.

Did you know that the dictionary says that to play is “to engage in an activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.”

Based on this definition, choosing to participate in the SRC for fun and enjoyment, or reading a book because you want to, not because you have to finish a school assignment or because the teacher told you to, is actually a type of playing!

I always look forward to the holidays, where I can read for fun. Have you checked out this year’s Great Reads? (Preschool | Primary | Secondary) If you have not, I highly recommend them. They are great starting points for possible Game On reading adventures this summer.

Here are just a few from the lists to look for in your library:

• Hide and Seek by Anthony Browne
  • I Spy by Edward Gibbs
  • Into Tordon by Z.F. Kingbolt

This summer, as part of the Game On theme, we are exploring what it means to play. Which got me to thinking—just like the four different houses of Hogwarts, and our four SRC Champions, there are so many ways that we can play during the holidays.

Here’s a list I started, but I am sure you can come up with more:

• Board games—Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly
  • Card games – Uno, snap
  • Video games – Wii, Playstation
  • Building with Lego, blocks, cardboard boxes
  • Puzzles and Mazes
  • Outdoor play – sprinklers, pool games, hide and seek
  • Pretend play/dress ups –I used to love to play “schools” with my little sister in the holidays. I’d be the teacher and give her homework to do. Isn’t that funny! (I actually ended up becoming a teacher at one point too.) We also played a lot of doctors and nurses, where someone would be the patient (and which also tended to be my little sister!)
  • Cooking
  • Drawing
  • Crafting
  • Sports

So this week, when tell your folks you are going to “play” outside, remember, that grabbing your favourite book and reading for fun counts!

Be sure to also see What’s On at your library too! Librarians across the country are keen to help you “play on” all summer long.

That’s it from us, so until next week…

Have fun playing, and keep on Reading!

The SRC Team

Challenge

Share with us:

• the kinds of things do you enjoy doing for fun.

• other types of play, you would add to our list.

• your favourite board game.

• the name of your local library.

Hi SRC team!
    How was your Christmas? I hope you had a good one. One of the things I enjoy doing the most is travelling. You can escape to every corner of the world. Travelling is fun because you can go to places that you have never been to, meet new people and learn a lot. I also love to have a muck around at the beach of course with ice ice-cream after.
    Squir and Shoo, Boing Fing are game you should definitely add to you your
    list.
    My favourite board games would definitely Bebe Monopoly, Trivia Persuit and
    Scramble. I like them these games because they are fun and they have an education edge to them.
    My local library is the Kingston Library airy is Tasmania. Every summer they preparean action packed program full of fun. All of the librarians and volunteers are friendly and helpful. They face any thing they assist with a can do attitude which is fantastic!
    IThree cheats for the Kingston Library and all the librarians and volenenters that mahal make it as amazing as it is! Hip hip hooray, hip hip Horan hooray , hip hip hooray!
    Thanks SRC Team!

A big thank you to all the librarians and volenters that work in libraries all across Australia that make it a truly wonderful place to v to visit! A round of applause to librarians, volenters and any other people that help shape the library into a sanctuary with peace and quite to escape to. Good job!

• SRC Team says:

Thanks Sahansa for all your thoughts and comments.

Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble are great board games. One game that our family enjoyed playing over Christmas is Rummikub.

Have you played it?

And we will pass on your shout out to the Kingston Library in TAS. They are a wonderful library service and we love to hear your regard for them being so high!

Schools out and I’m looking faward to a summer of fun!

In the holidays at the Kingston Library rare we have Rock & Rhyme , Story Time and Chess Club often with treats like Design Your Own Bag and Learn To Play Magic The Gathering. At this library the staff don’t let the adults miss out or on an action packed summer. It is a GREAT library!

How To Play Squirt
    Squirt is a game for at least 10 people.
    How To Play:
    1. Choose one person to call out names and judge .
    2. Everyone else gets into a circle.
    3. The name calling person calls out someone’s name.
    4. The person whose name is called bobs down and the people on either side say squirt with their their thumb and second finger out ( shaped like a water gun).
    5. The caller person judges if anyo anyone is out.
    6. Easy as that the game continues.
    When you get up to only two people standing , they go back to back . Someone chooses a word which the last two Plasa players must listen for in the paragraph. When that that word is s is said ASAP , the last two players face each other and say squirt with the hand sign. Then we hav we have a winner.
    Rules:
    1. Hands have to be down.
    2. You are out if you say or do the wrong thing, if you are to slow or you squirt someone that is not either side of you.
    3. When you are out side down cross-legged .
    4. The caller can call out people who are out’s names as well , just for a bit of fun .
    Enjoy!

Hi SRC Team
    I love reading! I’m not just saying that I love to read I could read all day! In a day my highest book record is 7 it think! I also love swimming for fun. I love blogging! Make up a game. Did you have a good Christmas?

Hi SRC Team
      I love sport! I have a story to tell you.
      Swim swim. I thought. I’ll make it up to the next age group. Their was nothing more I wanted than to be in the next age group with the older kids. Breathstroke, backstroke,diving,survival strokes, freestyle. I could do most of them. I finally made it up to the next age group and was their for about two weeks when this happened. Hit the ball hit the ball. I thought. I’d been playing tennis for about a term and would love to go up and play real tennis with the big kids. I played for another term got another certificate. I never made it up. Kick,punch,win. I was at another Taekwondo competition waiting hoping to win gold. ( I only ever won get gold once). But in my head I knew it would be another silver. I was right. At least I made it to nationals. I thought miserably. I went on to nationals. I got bronze. Ido it for another year and went to qualify for the nationals. I didn’t make it. There was seven girls in my division two of us didn’t make it one of them was me. Come on mum hurry up. I was preparing for another dance concert. In all my life I have done three kinds of dancing tap,jazz and ballet. It was tiring. All I wanted to do was dance on my point. I stopped dancing. I went to try out for another ballet class . Then I decided I didn’t want to dance again. I am now a musician and never want to give up. I play a violin and flute.
      I have done so many things thinking this will be the best thing in the world and I was wrong. If your passionate about something like I am with my music then go for it. Never give up. I gave up and look what happened. Never stop believing and if someone tells you that you can’t do it ignore them and keep going. I hate people telling me what I’m doing wrong but there trying to help you. So you can accept and become better or you can refuse it and stay where you are. NEVER GIVE UP! Be yourself and do what you want!
      Good luck

Is that a true story?

If it is it is very motivational!

Hi Sahansa
          Yes it is a true story and it happened to me.
          It is exactly what I did. So Never Give Up and follow your dream!

Hey Madi!
            You are exactly right. When you a feeling down thing about the positives. Be optimistic and shine like like the sun! I have been in a situation kind of like that. It was in swimming and I also really wanted to move up to the next level with of the older , more experienced kids. I moved up and I was stuck there for about a year, before I moved up again. When school starts I will have my first experience in Fit Squad, a racing squad at the pool I swim.
            Happy New Year!
            Good Luck!

Hi Sahansa
            Congrats on getting into fit squad! You must of followed your dream! Do you like or love swimming? If you could do any sport what would it be? If you could do anything what would it be? If you could be anything what would it be? Does your sister play any sport? What is your favourite movie? What is your favourite book? Who is your idol? If you could be anybody who would it be?
            Sorry I always ask a lot of questions!

• SRC Team says:

Thanks for sharing this story Madi!

Never giving up is the secret to playing any game–board game, sports game or the thing we call our lives. Everyday is a decision to participate or to sit on the sidelines.

With your attitude, it seems no challenge will set you back for too long!

Keep on playing the game 🙂

Every year at school we do this game called the Chocolate Game it is a competitive game as everyone wants chocolate.
    You need at least 10 people to play.
    Equipment :
    *1 six sided dice
    * a block of chocolate
    * a fork
    * a knife
    *newspaper
    How To Play:
    1. Place newspaper in the middle.
    2. Put the unwrapped block of chocolate on the newspaper.
    3. Everyone needs to get into a circle.
    4. Chose who is going to judge.
    5. Chose what the golden number is going to be. Only if you roll that number you can go into the middle.
    6. Chose someone to start in the middle.
    7. The person in the middle uses either the fork, the knife or both to cut a price of chocolate. They grab it with their hands and place it in their mouth. After chewing they can go and cut another piece of chocolate out.
    8. Take turns at rolling the dice. Once that chosen number comes up , the person who got the number must go into the middle and the person already in the middle must leave.
    9. The game continues so on.

Rules the judge has to be looking out for:
    1. The person in the middle has to cut one separate bit of chocolate.
    2. Thy can only get another piece after chewing and finishing their first.
    3. If they have cut a piece and have not touched it by the time someone else gets a chosen number just go out of the middle. If they have touched the piece they can eat it.
    4. You can eat pieces of chocolate cut by other players once you are in the middle.

Good luck, hopefully you aren’t jinxed!

Our character is not defined by the battles we win but the battles we dare to fight. It doesn’t matter e if you win or looses. It matters if you have the courage to show resilience and bounce back. Always stay positive. Never give up! Shine like the sun with s smile on your dour dial . No one is against you but yourself. Do things that suit you. Keep goals! You are your very own glamorous winner! Always be strong, courageous and brave. There is nothing you can’t do! Your future awaits you! Make your destiny!

Hi Madi!
    Don’t worry you do not ask to many question, I think I do . I think asking questions is a skill on its own.

1. I love swimming.
    2. Water Polo and Competitive Swimming( I will do these next year)
    3. Yes. She does swimming and is in the same level as me.
    4. Synchronised swimming
    5. One of the Harry Potter movies. Dunno which one they are all so good.
    6. Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    7. Shan Gould
    8.Lawyer/ Olympic Swimmer

If you could do any sport what would it be? If you could do anything what would it be? If you could be anything what would it be? Do you have any siblings? Id you do , do they play sport? What is your favourite movie? What is your favourite book? Who is your idol? If you could be anybody who would it be? What is your favourite Harry Potter book and why?

Keep on playing sport! May the force be with you!

Hi Sahansa
      1. Ooh can’t answer that one sorry I wouldn’t be able to pick!
      2. Maybe theatre or sport or music!
      3. Can’t answer that one as not sure!
      4. My favourite movie is Harry Potter,Star wars,Descendants!
      5. Book also Harry Potter and a few others like the swan kingdom ! I also have a ew more but can’t think of them at the moment
      6. Idol I have a few like my Mum for instance ( though she really is my idol)! And I have a couple actresses and actors a few writers and a couple other people!
      7. Can’t answer that as also not sure.
      8. All of them cause there all so good!
      Happy New Year

9. Tessa Knight says:

Hello SCR,
    In My spare time i read books and write poems. My favorite board game is battleships . My local library is the Colac library in Victoria.

• SRC Team says:

Hello Tessa,

Battleships is a great game. It helps to build strategic thinking–a useful tool for school and life.

We hope you have lots of fun borrowing books and reading them all summer long. Thanks for being a part of the SRC!

Happy New Year!

11. Finn says:

Hello SRC team,
    My name is Finn and I love reading with my mum. I am only 6, so I just started learning to read last year in kindergarten. It is very hard, but I am getting better at it. I cant wait to be able to read a book all by myself!
    My favourite boardgames at the moment are Snakes and ladders and Pop the pig. I got both these games for Christmas and they are LOTS of fun!
    My local library is “Tomaree Library” in Port Stephens. We go there every week and borrow heaps of books. The ladies there are very nice and they know me and Ruby (my little sister) by our names and always give us stickers.
    Today they gave us a “Summer reading challenge” pack and activity sheets which we have been doing at home.
    That is how we found out about this website!

ps. my mum helped me to write all this as Im not very good at writing yet!

• SRC Team says:

Hello Finn,

Thanks for sharing what is happening at your library! It sounds like you have some wonderful librarians there who help you out and look forward to seeing you too.

Reading is hard when you begin, but with practice, you will soon find that you are reading all by yourself. Enjoy reading with your mum and your family. This is a good way to learn the words together! (And its a nice way to spend some time together at the end of the day 🙂 )

We hope you have lots of fun this summer! Keep on playing and reading and trying new things! It’s good to see you participating in the SRC here online and at your library.

Game On!

12. Stephanie says:

Hi SRC,
    Let’s see if I can complete this challenge:
    1. It may sound obvious, but I like to read for fun! I also enjoy watching movies and writing.
    2. I would add acting and debating to the list of play, since they are some of the things I do for enjoyment and recreation, although I guess acting is very similar to pretend play.
    3. My favourite board game is Cluedo!
    4. My local libraries are the Whitehorse Manningham ones.

• SRC Team says:

Hi Stephanie,

The SRC Team LOVES to read for fun too! It is one of the best ways to “play!”

We also like the game Cluedo! It’s so exciting when you figure out who did the crime… but you have to wait your turn to reveal the answers.

Did you know there is a movie called Clue, on which the board game is based? It’s kind of an oldie, but a goodie.

Thanks for sharing this week!

13. Laila says:

A big hello to the SRC team,

I love to read it’s one of my favourites pastimes, that and keeping up with T.v series I love and watching anything Marvel. I love to play but with friends and family, because sharing a happy moment with those you love, make it even more fun!! With my cousins we play UNO, trouble and Monopoly the most, Monopoly being the prefered game. We also play Minecraft together a lot, enjoying the power to build and destroy worlds.

P.s My local library is Ivanhoe library

• SRC Team says:

Hi Laila,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Marvel is pretty awesome, and Monopoly is a great game! When we play UNO our family uses made-up “house rules” that add an extra level of fun for us, although can be confusing to new friends who join us… but that only adds to the enjoyment.

Do you have any “House Rules” you use when playing Monopoly or UNO?

14. Henry P says:

I love reading, playing with Lego, watching movies, eating strawberry icecream and drawing and making things.
    Scooting is the best fun, and flying kites.
    My favourite game is chess.
    My local library is Northcote.