Find-a-Word Games

Posted on: December 18th, 2017 by laura -

Hi Everyone!

Today I want to chat to you about editing.

While I love writing, I’ve been an Editor far longer than I have been a professional writer. You all know what an Editor does, right?

An Editor is the person who goes through a book manuscript and looks for all the mistakes.

It might be spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes, but also mistakes in the plot or characters.

You’d be surprised how many times I would be editing a book and the author accidentally changed the main character’s eye colour midway through the story!

Editing sounds kind of boring–who wants to sit around doing spelling lists?! But actually, it’s quite fun! It’s like doing a Find-a-Word puzzle or a detective game–it’s the Editor’s job to seek out all the little, tiny errors that creep into a story.

So, I want to see if we have any top notch word detectives among us here. I’ve put an extract from one of my books below and it includes 8 mistakes.

The first person to correctly identify all 8 mistakes will get a prize! Game on!!

Can you find all the errors?

The summer passed in a blur. i remember my friends chattering about starting High School. I felt left out. they were all going to the same school and her I was trekking across the city to get to my new school. But not even that culd dampen my excitment. In just six weaks, I wuld be at the Royal Academy of Sport for Girls

From: The Royal Academy of Sport for Girls: High Flyers

Hi Laura
    The first I it should be a capital,they should be a capital T, her should be here, culd should be could, excitment should be excitement,weaks should be weeks, wuld should be would and there should be a full stop at the end.
    There you go hope that’s them.
    Merry Christmas

Hey Laura!
    The summer passed in a blur. I remember my friends chattering about starting High School. I felt left out. They were all going to the same High School and here I was trekking across the city to get to my new school. But not even that could dampen my excitement . In just six weeks, I would be at the Royal Accademy of Sport for Girls.
    With Christmas spirit,

Feliz Navidad Laura,
    Do you write over the Christmas holidays? Are you doing anything special this Christmas? Did you enjoy being a writer or a editor more? What are you currently working on?
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

• laura says:

I love spending time with my family at Christmas.
      Oooh – that’s such a hard question (about whether I prefer being an editor or writer). I edit more than I write – I am an editor for a children’s publishing company and I really do adore it. But I also love to write! I am working on a new series which will be released in about a year – but I can’t say too much at the moment 😉

Hi Laura!
        You have really interesting jobs. . I can’t wait to find out more and read your new series. What do you think the best part of Christmas is? I think it is better to give presents and see the persons sons reaction that receive. I don’t know if it’s just me because I feel a bit awkward when I receive presents.
        Merry Christmas!
        Sa

Hey Laura!
    Are you are Harry Potter fan? If you are this is a great video, it is called Harry Potter in 99 seconds.
    This is the link:
    Joyeux Noël !
    I wonder why the e has two dots on it.

Ciao Laura,
    I have loved blogging with you this year. You are a really interesting person. What do you think the best thing about being a blogging author was? I think the best thing about the blog is getting to know different authors.
    Where do you get your ideas for stories from?

6. Genna says:

I love editing but its sometimes annoying because the author say’s its punctuations fine.

Spot the four punctuation mistakes!

Hi Gemma!
      Is this right:
      I love edititing, but it’s sometimes annoying , because the author says it’s punctuation fine.

Merry Christmas!

7. Jennifer says:

Happy holidays everyone !!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

9. poppy says:

Hay Laura
    I am Poppy I loved your find a word post. I am 8 years old and have just joined. I love books and when I read your post I thought that it really helped, because I sometimes don’t put full stops in and my teacher said that if you don’t put full stops in no one will be able to have a break and you will have the keep reading reading reading. That really helped.

From Poppy

• Laura says:

I’m glad you liked the post, Poppy! Which books do you like to read? My daughter just turned 9 yesterday and she loves the Our Australian Girl series.

Happy birthday to your nine yearold daugterugter, Laura!
        Have you got any inspirations for your your stories from your children?
        Merry Christmas!

• Laura says:

Having kids definitely helps when I’m finding the “voice” of my characters. I’m writing a series about an 8yo right now and it’s been really handy listening to my daughter and her friends so I can make my character sound the right age. You can do this too in your writing – if you know older or younger kids you can think about them if you are writing characters the same age.

Happy birthday to your nine yearold daugterugter, Laura!
    Have your children inspired you to write any stories?
    Merry Christmas!

Happy birthday to your nine yearold daugterugter, Laura!
    Have you got any inspirations for your your stories from your children?
    Merry Christmas!

12. Dihansa says:

Hi Laura!
    In the first sentence the “I” has to be capital. In the fourth sentence “they” has to be capital. There shouldn’t be a “her” before the “I”. “Culd” Should be spelt as “Could. “Weaks” should be spelt as “weeks”. Again ” Wuld” should be spelt as “would”.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

13. Dihansa says:

Whoops there should also be a full stop at the end of the paragraph

Merry Christmas everyone and a happy new year! Have a great Christmas!

15. Alex says:

Hi Laura
    Hope you have a good Christmas and a happy new year.merry Christmas to everyone.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

How many books are in the Royal Academy Of Sports for girls? On my state library linc I’d it has 4 books.
    Merry Christmas!
    Thanks Laura!
    From Sahansa

Three cheers for Laura for being a great blogging author.
    Hip hip hoy, hip hip hooray hip hip hooray!

19. Frankie says:

This is what it is –
    This is what it should be –
    The summer passed in a blur. I remember my friends chattering about starting High School. I felt left out. They were all going to the same school and here I was, trekking across the city to get to my new school. I would be at the Royal Academy of Sports for Girls.