Getting Ideas

Posted on: December 17th, 2017 by michael -

Hi everyone, this week’s post is all about ideas… for me, the idea for a story is SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOO important! It’s what keeps me awake at night; it’s what gets me so excited about story writing…. and it’s the one thing I really can’t help you with too much because ideas are personal; they came from each of us and that’s what makes them so special.

I mean, I could give you an idea and you could write about the idea and maybe write a really good story, but at the end of the day, it’s not YOUR idea… and that takes a bit of the magic out of it.

So – where do you get a good idea from? Hmmm… you can’t just walk into the supermarket and head down aisle 7 and pick up one from the shelf…. or can you?

I mean, just imagine you’re cruising down Aisle 7 in your local supermarket and you hear this small, frightened voice coming from behind the jars of marmalade. You pause. Was that really a voice you just heard? Dad has moved further down the aisle; he’s on the phone and didn’t hear anything. You step closer, bend low placing an ear against the jar closest to you. You sense people staring, but you don’t care.

‘Help me,’ the voice says. ‘Please?’ ….

So, ideas can come from anywhere… ANYWHERE!! We authors (that’s YOU and me!) see and build stories from the world around us and of course the world beyond us too.

Have a go. Sit down somewhere quiet and close your eyes and let yourself be taken somewhere. Anywhere. Then slowly start to create a story. Remember, your story has to have a problem; a reason we want to turn the page and read on. The more intriguing and exciting, the better…

Ideas can come at the weirdest time and often when you least expect it. It could be a random thought that drifts into your head, so make sure you have pen and paper or a device that you can tap or type on to get your idea down. I have a little pad and pen next to my bed!

So, this week…. I’d love to hear from people who’d like to share either WHERE you are when you get your awesome ideas for a story… or some cool ideas you have for a story!! Good luck…

Hi Michael!
    I agree that ideas are anywhere. You just have to think outside the box and build them up into stories. Great idea, to keep a pen and paper near your bed so that you can jot down any ideas that come up. Ideas are anywhere you just need to know where to search.
    With Christmas Spirit,

What are you currently working on and where did you find the ideas for it?

Bonjour no Michael!
    I’ve just had this idea for a story about this Champion Swimmer .
    Introduction: There is a really good swimmer called Luke Smith.
    Paragraph 1: He trains really hard every day for a coming tournament in Crow- Asia.
    Paragraph 2: His country is ripped apart by World War 2.
    Complication: He gets an envelope in the post with a white feather in it. This signals that he is a coward
    Regulation: Without out his greatest interests in heart he goes train to be a soldier . Hoping to come back , all bones intact in one piece and swim once again.

• michael says:

Nice – I like it heaps, especially the bit about the white feather arriving in the mail… how curious and interesting… I wonder who sent it… and why?? It’s got me thinking… love your work, Sahansa, Michael

Hi Michael!
        Would there be any advice you could give me? Is there anything that would be good to add?
        Thanks

• michael says:

Well, I think he needs to prove that he is not a coward and I think a twist could be that he made a promise with someone very close to him (sister, brother, partner.. someone) that if war should ever break out, they were to send him the white feather as a sign… and he needs to return to stop the war from happening. And if you’re VERY clever you’ll use his swimming ability to help out here!! Good luck!

Hi Michael!
        I have loved blogging with you this year. You are a really interesting person. What do you think the best thing about being a blogging author was? I think the best thing about the blog is getting to know different authors.

Bonjour no Michael!
    I’ve just had this idea for a story about this Champion Swimmer .
    Introduction: There is a really good swimmer called Luke Smith.
    Paragraph 2: His country is ripped apart by World War 2.

Hi Michael
    I get ideas anywhere and everywhere! But I just had an idea for a girl who is in the circus and has magic powers or so thing like that have you got any ideas for me? I think I need ideas from other people so if any other people on the blog would like to give ideas as well as you that would be very much appreciated! Do you go and do anything in libraries?
    Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Michael
      Next week are you doing the blog just wondering because it is Christmas?
      It is so much fun blogging with you! Now quick pop quiz
      1. What is your favourite book you have written?
      2. What is your all time favourite book?
      3. Did you always want to be a writer?
      4. Do you like Star Wars?
      5. What is your favourite movie?
      Sorry I ask a lot but can’t help myself!
      Merry Christmas

• michael says:

Hey again, Madi – yes, am pretty sure I’ll be doing a Christmas eve blog… just in time for Christmas Day! I’m so glad you’re enjoying blogging here – I’m having heaps of fun too, so I’m glad you’re on board and tapping out the questions and suggestions… so…
        Fav book I’ve written – The Vanishings
        All time Fav book – hmmmm…. can you leave that one with me awhile?
        No, I didn’t always want to be a writer… it came late for me, actually.
        I’ve seen a few Star Wars but I’m a bit mixed up and feel like I need to start from the beginning again and then I’ll really enjoy this latest one… do you like Star Wars????
        Fav movie – Notting Hill!
        Merry Christmas to you too, Madi – 5 sleeps to go!!

Hi Michael
          I love Star Wars and can’t wait to go and see 8! Thanks for the suggestion I think I might to put some of that into my story!
          Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Michael! Can’t wait to see your new blog tomorrow! Happy new year!

• michael says:

That sounds good… I think I’ll have to get along to the Star Wars film too… and thank you Madi for your Christmas wishes… now only one, TWO sleeps to go… woo!!

• michael says:

Hey Madi, am finally back here and replying to your awesome idea about the mysterious girl with the magical powers at the circus… am thinking maybe she could help out one or more of the animals who is being treated a bit cruelly by his/her owner? (Or maybe you’re not thinking a circus with animals, but more just with people?) Anyway, just take yourself away to a nice quiet spot, close your eyes and pretend it’s YOU with those magical powers at the circus… and you’re wandering around and you see something where your powers are REALLY going to help out…
      And yes, if anyone else out there would like to offer some suggestions for Madi, that would be awesome!
      I do visit libraries and I actually do quite a bit of writing in my local library as well, so I spend quite a bit of time in libraries. Michael

Hi Madi,
      Maybe this girl with magic powers could help a person who was a circus performer The circus performer could be about to get fired because he wasn’t good enough . He could have 2 weeks to get his act together. Maybe the girl with magical powers could help.
      Good Luck!
      Joyeux Noël

Hey Sahansa
        Thanks great idea! That might actually work cause I’ve been trying to figure it out!
        Thanks
        Merry Christmas

Hello Madi!
          I know know that you are a very talented writer and whatever you come up with will be amazing. That was a great idea you had for starters. A small idea transforms into a story. Are you from Tasmania?
          Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Feliz Navidad Michael!
    On ABC Me there is this awesome show called Ice Stars. I really like it because I personally think that their routines are amazing and while their performing or even practising as a spectator or watching it on the TV I have to stare with my mouth open. They are so good.

7. Samantha says:

I always get ideas for stories when I am on walks with my family and when I am meant to be doing something else which really annoys my mum because I feel the need to abandon what I am doing and go write it down.

• michael says:

Haha – that is a classic; thanks for sharing Samantha. I hope you DO get the chance to go write it down; I know I’d need to as sometimes I forget some really good ideas, which is sort of weird because I think they’re good at the time and am amazed that I can forget them… like you, I’m probably distracted by something else!! Michael

Hala Michael,
    Are you are Harry Potter fan? If you are this is a great video, it is called Harry Potter in 99 seconds.
    This is the link:
    Joyeux Noël !

9. Genna says:

I could be anywhere when I have an idea for some REALLY AWESOME storyline that seems incredibly epic (but in reality, probably is awfully clichéd 🙁 )

But one of my favourite places to go for some creative flow is outside. I live out of town so I can go and wander in the paddock or climb the hill, or maybe even go and stare into the dam to look for a secret underwater world. 🙂

It seems that if you get up close and study something, like a weirdly-shaped tree or a clump of grass, you’ll end up making some story out of what you see. There’s this tree that I found when I was really small. It had these bumps all over the bark, and I decided that they were fairy houses.

That seems a bit boring now, so I decided to change the story a bit. They’re not fairy houses, they’re the scars of Hlovs’ claws as they dig in the tree bark for the sap. Hlovs are about a metre and a half tall. They have short hair all over them and they hunt anything that moves, as well as a lot that doesn’t.
    🙂 They’re nocturnal and that’s why no-one has never seen them. There are stories, but people dismiss them as tall tales, like the bunyip or drop bear.

But when my character is running from a pack of wild dogs after getting lost in the bush (totally a cliché, I know), the chase goes on until after dark. AND… the Hlovs come and chase the wild dogs because they want dinner. While they’re busy running around, my character escapes. BUT… *dramatic music* when the Hlovs are finished, they come after my character. The tales say that nothing ever escapes the Hlovs.

Can my character be the first to escape the Hlovs… with a twisted ankle?

I actually don’t know… I haven’t written that bit yet. 🙂 Cue anticlimax!

• michael says:

Whoa, Genna – I loved reading your ideas. Amazing how such an imaginative idea can come from such a small thing… little bumps in trees. And nice too that at different ages, you’re still able to use the same stimulus – those bumps! And I can tell by the way you write that it’s going to be an entertaining story and fun for the reader to read… maybe some bits (especially those involving the Hlovs) won’t be so fun, but you know what I mean. Cool… thanks so much for sharing and hope to hear more from you over the coming days/weeks! 🙂

10. Frankie says:

I personally get my ideas from when i am in bed because everything is quiet, it is just me and there is no noise. I lie down and have nothing on my mind.
    A good story starter for me –
    The Lost Sister

As Jake walked down the misty, pastel road, he realised what had just happened in the last year. His parents had told him about his lost sister. Jake was a sixteen-year-old boy with short curly hair that had just grown back. Jake had been diagnosed with brain cancer when he was just six, and only a year ago the hospital had let him live his life.

That sounds so interesting. Cancan’t wait to find out more! Have you thought about the rest of your story?

• michael says:

Hi Frankie, thanks heaps for sharing your ideas. I agree with you about being able to shut out the world when you’re in bed and focus in on your own world and imagination and let things flow. That’s also why bed is my all time fav place to read too. You’ve got two big BIG things going on in the story starter and the reader will def want to know about Jake’s illness (such a long time for him to be so unwell) and also his lost sister. Can’t wait to hear how things resolve in your story…

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

How many books are in the clued-up six series? On my states library linc they only have Faster Than Lightening and In The Deep End.
    Have a Christmas full of memorable moments.
    Thanks Michael
    From Sahansa

Your books the cursed and the immortal look interesting.ting.

14. Frankie says:

Well, only kind of but I am hoping to finish it one day.

Three cheers for Micheal for being a great blogging author.
    Hip hip hooray , hip hip hooray, hip hip horahoray !

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!

17. Kate says:

Thanks for the advice
    I have always had a pretty hard time deciding what to write. Your advice really helped. It’s true ideas can come from anywhere, at any time. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box, use your imagination.
    BTW
    Micheal you’re probably one of the best blogging authors in the WORLD
    I mean seriously
    How can anything beat the way you write
    Thanks again

• michael says:

Wow – thank you so much Kate for your super kind words. You’ve made me think I should get blogging a whole lot more and perhaps offer writing tips and help for all those people out there keen to write but feeling a bit stuck… just got to work out a way to do all that! Good luck with your writing and let me know if you ever need help! Thanks again Kate – that’s the nicest comment I’ve had! Michael

18. Stephanie says:

Hi Michael,
    Do you have any other ways to come up with ideas, when they just don’t seem to pop up by themselves? Also, how do you develop an idea once you have it, so it turns into a plot with interesting characters?

19. michael says:

Hey there Stephanie, thanks for being in touch. It’s a tricky one cos it’s such a personal thing. I think it could be a help if you have a little note book / iphone / ipad or something with you (when possible, of course!) so you can jot down interesting things that you see. Often you can get a story going from something you see/notice/hear. Be alert and aware of things going on around you then let your imagination take over to build a story. You need to have that original base or seed. Maybe look at a picture. ‘What do you see?’ ‘What do you think?’ ‘What do you wonder?’ It’s when you answer those last 2 questions especially that ideas start to grow…. I hope this helps and please be in touch again if I can help more if you want to share some of your ideas! Good luck Stephanie, Michael 🙂