In the Deep End

Posted on: December 9th, 2017 by michael -

Here’s the cover In The Deep End – great for swimming fans!!

Hi Michael!
    This is one of the books on my bucket list to read before the end of this Summer. Any book about sport is a I have that’s to read for me.
    From Sahansa

Dear Michael,
    What other sports books have you written? What is your favourite book you have written?

• michael says:

Well, I’ve written quite a few. I’ll pop up some more images perhaps of my Legends series…. so…. surfing, cricket, tennis, AFL football, netball, soccer, basketball, athletics and swimming. They’re the main ones. One of my favs from this list is the basketball book (It’s coming out early next year!) The teacher is sooooo mean that she decides to switch schools to make sure the new team she is coaching loses! But the kids get back at her… hahaha

Hi Michael
    Great cover! I’ll have to put it on my summer reading list. What is your favourite thing to do? What gave you inspiration for your first book? What age would you recommend your books to? Sorry for asking twice but I am curious!
    From Madi

• michael says:

Thanks Madi – that’s very kind of you and I hope you enjoy it. It’s the 2nd one in the series… I’ll pop up the first one as it’s also a gorgeous cover (well, I think!!). THEN… guess what? (What?) Well, for the 3rd book (scary ghost book) they changed the cover completely!! I was a bit sad about that, but I guess it’s still the same characters and fun action inside. So, my inspiration came from wanting to write books for kids who perhaps don’t like reading that much (which was actually me for a while as a kid!) I think my books are best suited for 9 – 12 year olds… the scary ones maybe a bit older and my Big Bash League cricket books for maybe a bit younger… say 7 – 10… Happy reading! Michael

Good afternoon Micheal,
    I am definitely a swimming fan. What was your inspiration for In The Deep End? Fabulous cover! The pictures look real! Who designed the cover? Are you a swimmer , yourself?

• michael says:

Well, I’m not a good swimmer like you Sahansa, but as I think I mentioned earlier, I do know that swimming is super popular and Pam Harvey and I (We co-authored the series) thought swimming would be a good sport to write about. I can’t recall who designed the cover; I think the publishers get a company to organise it… but thank you… I really like the cover too! Thanks, Michael

5. Grace says:

I remember reading In the Deep End a while ago, when I was a massive swimming fan! I think I may even have a signed copy sitting in my massive bookshelf somewhere right now!

I play many sports now, not just swimming! I do Netball, Basketball, Touch Rugby, Football, Soccer and Cross Country. I wish I could play sport all day, everyday!

Grace πŸ™‚

• michael says:

Oh, that’s kind of exciting that you have a signed copy on your bookshelf Grace.. hopefully signed by the author too!! Wow, you sure are busy with your sport… that’s so good. I’ve been watching the Rugby 7s and I think that’s a bit like touch rugby… you must be super fit and skilled!! πŸ™‚

6. Genna says:

I love swimming! I’m not so good at breaststroke though. πŸ™ I’ll have to check out this book – I’ll see if my library has it!

Your new book about basketball will be cool too… you’re writing about all my favourite sports! The plot line sounds twisted, and I love twisted. πŸ™‚

Do you swim much yourself, or did you have to do a lot of research to write this book?

• michael says:

Howdy Genna, I don’t do that much swimming actually, so research and talking to kids who were good swimmers was really helpful for me. There were two lovely girls in particular who helped mt and I wrote them a little dedication at the start of the book. So agree with you about twists; I get really excited if and when (more like if, actually!) I put a twist into a story, as I know kids and readers LOVE coming up with a bit of a shock or surprise at the end of a story!!

7. Jennifer says:

This looks like a great book .
    Going to have a look for it at my library today , hopefully i can find it i can’t wait to read it.

• michael says:

Hi Jennifer, thanks so much. Hope you can find it and that you enjoy it if you do. Let me know if you can’t and I’ll help you out for sure getting a copy. Happy reading! Michael πŸ™‚