Summer Reading Club

Read all about it

Hot off the press!

Read all about it


Mystery Guy Assists Girl on Early Morning Run

A Queensland teenager is seeking the identity of a mystery ‘Good Samaritan’ who helped her in the Noosa National Park.

Nineteen-year-old Georgia King was running along the coastal track at daybreak yesterday when she lost a designer frangipani hair band.

“It was only a hair band,” Ms King said. “But it belonged to my sister and I knew if I came home without it, she’d kill me! I just freaked when I realised it had slipped out of my hair.”

Ms King retraced her steps looking for the hair band. But she didn’t have to go far before she came upon the mystery guy. He had picked up the hair band and was following her to return it.

Ms King said she was completely tongue tied when the guy handed her the hair band and didn’t get the chance to thank him properly.

“I feel terrible because he was really sweet,” Ms King said. “I didn’t ask his name or anything, but I’d love to find him to at least say thanks.”

Ms King described the mystery guy as being tall, with dark hair and green eyes.

“He also had a really cute accent and a little scar above his right eye,” Ms King said. “I really, really hope I can find him again.”

Ms King’s friends say she has been very restless since meeting the guy on the running track. They are helping with the hunt for the hot running guy as they are calling him.

End– Julie Fison

Find out more about Tall, Dark and Distant


Dead shark Puzzles Hazard River Holidaymakers

A gang of kids is investigating the mysterious appearance of a dead shark that washed up on the banks of Hazard River last night.

The shark, measuring two metres long, was missing several fins when ten-year-old, Jack Wilde, found it.

Jack, along with his brother, Ben Wilde, and their friends Mimi Fairweather and Lachlan Master have been holidaying at Hazard River.

“I’ve seen plenty of old junk washed up on the river bank, but this is the first time I’ve seen a big shark like this,” Jack Wilde said.

“My guess is it was killed by a really massive shark, or maybe even a giant squid, then it drifted in here with the tide. This shark definitely didn’t just die of old age!”

Jack Wilde’s brother had another theory on the attack.

“I blame pirates,” Ben Wilde said. “It’s exactly the sort of thing they’d do. They’d cut you to pieces as soon as look at you.”

Mimi Fairweather, who has sailed around the world with her family denied there were pirates in the Hazard River area, but admitted she was puzzled by the death of the shark.

Lachlan Master said that he and his friends wouldn’t rest until they had tracked down the killer of the shark.

“It’s not going to be easy, but we’ll uncover the truth somehow,” Lachlan Master said. “I can promise you that.”

End—Julie Fison

Check out Shark Frenzy.


Gang baffled by mystery ‘ghost’ boat

Grave fears are held for the safety of a local man, after his abandoned houseboat was discovered careering down Hazard River during yesterday’s storm.

A gang of young holidaymakers investigated the boat after it ran aground and found no one on board. However, Jack Wilde, his brother Ben and their friends Mimi Fairweather and Lachlan Master discovered a note with the words: HELP ME!

“I was pretty convinced that it was ghosts sailing the boat when we first saw it,” Jack Wilde said.

“It was totally freaky watching an empty boat sailing past. But we’ve got to work out what’s going on here, because I think the owner is in great danger.”

Six-year-old, Ben Wilde claimed that the boat’s owner might have been the victim of foul play.

“My theory is he was thrown overboard by a mean man with rotten teeth and a glass eye,” Ben said.

Ben admitted that his theory was just a wild guess and that anything could have happened to the boat driver. But he said that he and his friends were determined to find out the truth.

End—Julie Fison

Check out Snake Surprise.


Grizzly find in park – Town drunk gets ahead

Midnight last night, during the full fury of the worst storm this century, town drunk, Alvin McNicker, tripped over a head as he stumbled his way through Cavehill Park, next to the pauper’s section of the town cemetery.

At 1.00am, after the storm had abated, Senior Sergeant Marvin Marvel found McNicker unconscious, where he fell, with a head at his feet. McNicker was taken to Cavehill Hospital, where he was placed under guard, being held on suspicion of murder. McNicker’s is reported to have protested he had no idea what he tripped over. “It was dark!” he said.

The Morgue’s forensic expert, Expatria Porter, ruled out McNicker as a suspect. “The head had been dead for over a week, “ she stated in her findings, “It was expertly severed. I couldn’t have done better myself!” During the last fortnight, Sergeant Marvel confirmed, McNicker was residing at Her Majesty’s expense for drunken disorderly behaviour yet again. McNicker had only been released the morning of his trip.


Identity sketch by Muza Ulasowski

During questioning, Sergeant Marvel, asked McNicker if he had seen anyone else in the park. “Yeah, lots,” said McNicker However, Magistrate O’Kelly has ruled his evidence as inadmissible. According to Dr. Gerry Hattrick, who attended McNicker in hospital, “The man was suffering from double vision and the DTs on admission.”

Attempts at identifying the remains have so far proved unsuccessful. The head is thought to have been male, given some stubble on the chin. Dental records proved fruitless, as the man was toothless.

No corpse has yet been forthcoming, despite a thorough search of the park and adjoining cemetery by police and volunteers

Results of DNA testing are not yet to hand. It is hoped they will create some headway in the search for the identity of the head. The police department has circulated an identikit picture throughout town and posted it within a 200 mile radius. A copy is featured here. Anyone recognising the deceased, please contact Sergeant Marvel at the town CIB.

End—J.R. McRae


Stop press! Grave discovery


Dwarf and Shorty by Muza Ulasowski

Last night, the police were contacted by an out-of-towner, Elery Longman, a dwarf who used to perform in Curios Circus, which, readers might remember, travelled these parts for many years.  He retired some years ago and lived with his twin brother, Shorty Longman in Merryville, a veritable ghost town100 miles north of here.  Elery claims the head belongs to his brother, also a circus performer, who was noted for his extraordinarily long and elastic limbs.

The following bizarre story has emerged.

Shorty died and was buried the week preceding the storm. He was too long for the standard cut-price coffin, so the undertaker undertook to sever the head and rest it in peace on the dead man’s chest.  En route to the chapel in the pauper’s section of the cemetery, the hearse lurched over a large pothole, the back flew open and the head flew out. The undertaker was running late for a society funeral so, after a quick search, they sealed the coffin, using obscure public health regulations for the change in plans to ‘closed coffin’ service.  Shorty was sent to his Maker short changed.

A disinterment and quick search has revealed, this was indeed the situation.  Elery, reuniting his brother with his head, commented, “It is good to have him back together. He was never one to lose his head.“

Case and coffin closed.

End - J.R. McRae


The Loch Ness Monster

It’s 80 years since Nessie was first spotted but is she real?

On July 22nd 1933, Mr and Mrs Spicer reported seeing a large, cumbersome creature crossing the road near a Scottish lake called Loch Ness.

‘I am willing to take any oath that we saw this Loch Ness beast,’ Mr Spicer said. ‘I am certain that this creature was of a prehistoric species.’

On June 5 1934, a maid staring out the window of the house where she worked, saw a creature with a giraffe-like neck, skin like an elephant and two short forelegs or flippers. She watched it for 20 minutes before it disappeared into the water.

Affectionately known as Nessie, the first recorded sighting of the monster was in the 6th century, but it was sightings from the 1930s that stirred belief that the monster was real.

There are different theories as to what she may be. Some claim she’s a snake-like primitive whale known as a zeuglodon. Others believe she is a plesiosaur or a type of aquatic dinosaur.

Many have photographed and recorded Nessie but one of the most convincing pieces of evidence was taken by Nessie hunter, Tim Dinsdale, who filmed the creature moving slowly through the icy water.  A film which sends shivers through fellow Nessie hunters to this day.

Despite Nessie being seen over one thousand times, there is still fierce debate about whether she exists. One problem is that many of the photos, including the most convincing taken in 1934, turned out to be fakes.

Loch Ness is one of Scotland’s largest, deepest lakes, filled with underwater caves, which many believe gives the creature lots of hiding places but after being repeatedly searched over the last 70 years, no firm evidence has surfaced.

In 2003 a team scoured the lake and found nothing. One researcher claimed, ‘We went from shoreline to shoreline, top to bottom…we have covered everything in this loch, and we saw no signs of any large animal…’

But with so many people insisting they’ve seen her, how can they all be wrong?

Scientists claim birds, seals or even logs have been innocently mistaken for the famous monster.

In July 2013, Italian geologist, Dr Luigi Piccardi, said most of the ‘sightings’ are the result of seismic activity along the Great Glen fault system, which runs beneath the loch, causing bubbles to ripple to the surface, creating the illusion of a moving creature.

Real or not, Nessie has inspired games, toys, the Loch Ness Monster Fan Club, films, episodes of Scoobie Doo and Dr Who and over one million visitors who travel to Loch Ness from all over the world every year for a chance to see the monster for themselves.

Even without conclusive proof that Nessie exists, one thing is sure. Whatever the explanation might be, there are still many who believe that Nessie is alive and well in the black depths of Loch Ness.

End – Deborah Abela


Do you have an eye witness account of solved mysteries, unsolved mysteries and suspicious activities for publishing in this summer’s issue of the Summer Reading Club Times.

Send your articles to Include Your Name, Age and State. All entries received will go into a draw for 1 of 8 mystery book packs, including Julie Fison’s titles Snake Surprise and Shark Frenzy. Writing competition is open from 1 December 2013 through 31 January 2014. Winners will be notified by email in late February 2014.


Want more breaking news? Read page 2 of this summer’s edition of the Summer Reading Club Times.


Back to top